Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Dilemma

What do you do when someone asks you to write a review of a book inhabited with either grammar, spelling, or punctuation mistakes every three lines or so?  Usually, the books I am given to review have received a minimum amount of revision.  They are not only readable but deserve publication as well.  Here, for the first time, I was faced with a writer who had rambled plots rather than organized them, and had them published without a second thought or, obviously, a second look.  To add flavor ---and not the right kind--- there was a racist and homophobic subtext in some of these stories. 

I could have given a bad review to the book.  I chose to ignore it.  In this new world of publication, where Indie authors are at different levels of fame or professional conscience, I thought I was doing my part: discarding what, frankly, needed to be discarded.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment