Saturday, July 20, 2013

LES RISQUES DU MÉTIER

What the hell I am talking about?  What kind of a f*cking title is that? You might ask.

Okay, the title is in French, my native tongue. But you can figure out at least one word, right? "Risques" means what you think it means, "risks." As for "métier," it is also used in the English language.  It's that occupation or activity to which you basically give your all---talent and passion.

Talent and passion do not come without frustrations, however. Whether yours is teaching, cooking, painting, sewing, mathematics, archeology, there are always stones on your path that make you fall on your ass.

Like most authors, I send review copies to writers who tell me they are willing to write comments on my novel. A few don't meet their end of the bargain, however. They keep the book, but I don't always see a review. They should know that the book I ordered for them has not been handed free to me. Sometimes I send them a little reminder, a more subtle version of: "Hello? How are you? Remember Chainsaw Jane?" I can tell you that in most cases, the answer, my friend, is already blown in the wind. This is part of what I call "les risques du métier."

No comments:

Post a Comment